Featured image: “Snowwhite and Hardgore Alice” by KaishaScire
I’m busy at the moment with an assignment I have to have completed tonight, but if I can get this wrapped up, I’ll make the final pass on chapter 24 of Jake and the Dynamo. Check back here tomorrow, as I hope to have it up.
Featured image: ?
Just to let you know, in spite of my very busy schedule, I have just finished the draft of chapter 24 of Jake and the Dynamo and sent it off to my writers’ group. I’ll see about doing my first pass on it tonight.
As usual, I had twice as much material as I could actually fit in, which means I was able to end it on the cliffhanger I wanted to end on two chapters ago. Ha.
I’ve been extremely busy, and I’m running on about five hours of sleep a night, so I apologize for the sporadic posting.
Anyway, I found out in the middle of the day today, Friday, that I have to work on Saturday. That means my movie ticket for Sailor Moon R: The Movie Reloaded just got worthless.
I’m crushed, of course. This would have been my first in-theater magical girl experience. I was looking forward to driving three hours just to see an animated one-and-a-half-hour film. I was looking forward to having an excuse to wear a Sailor Moon T-shirt. I was looking forward to hanging out with soccer moms trying desperately to recapture their childhoods, and college-aged special snowflakes who’ve never left theirs. Now I don’t get to.
… But wait. It seems there’s another theater with a showing on Sunday. If I set out early enough on this epic journey to see a cartoon, and drop more money for yet another ticket, I think I can swing this.
It looks like it’s one of those fancy theaters where they’ll serve you dinner during the movie, too, and that means I should be able to drink beer.
Anyway, if I can actually move heaven and earth to make it to a screening, I will review this movie. If I can’t, I won’t. Watch this space.
Tomorrow I may have time to write the post I’ve been meaning to get to, but in the last few remaining minutes of my evening today, I’m going to work on Jake and the Dynamo. I’m still sorting out my new schedule, so posting will be more spotty even than my usual for now.
The image above is a mascot character I rescued (?) from a site called Kimiko Anime, a review blog that was apparently quite active for a while, but is now presumably defunct as it has not been updated since 2010. Shame to let that magical girl mascot go to waste, though.
I take no responsibility for other people’s content, but be aware that Kimiko Anime, if you choose to visit, has a note up top that it may not be suitable for minors.
Featured image: “magical girl yellow” by SY-97Satellites
I just wrote the last word of the rough draft of chapter 23 of Jake and the Dynamo. It really didn’t want to “go” for a while until I figured out which scenes were missing. It also ended up being forty-four pages long, which makes this beach episode the longest chapter of the novel so far.
I’ll see how soon I can get it out. Probably this week.
Featured image: “Keep Up” by sdPink.
1. I have an essay in the works, but I spent today on Jake and the Dynamo instead, and the next chapter is about half drafted. Chapters seem to be getting longer as they go. This always happens to me.
2. On an amusing note related to J&tD, I didn’t realize that Dana Volt’s mother, Millie Volt, had a pun in her name until a reader pointed it out. I take this as evidence that muses exist.
3. I’m making a career change and beginning training this week. My free time right now is already minimal, and this will cut into it further. We’ll see how this goes.
4. There is no update since yesterday on the Sailor Moon R: The Movie front, but I intend to check daily to make sure I get my tickets. Supposedly, there’s a prize of some sort for ticket-holders (I have no idea what it is or how one gets it), so maybe there’s a chance I’ll get my hands on my first piece of Sailor Moon merchandise … and probably my last, because I like magical girls and all, but have no intention of filling my apartment with them. If I did that, I’d have nowhere to put the ponies.
5. I’ll finish reviewing Magical Girl Raising Project next week. I’m necessarily a week behind as I can’t afford any streaming subscriptions right now. I think I made a mistake by choosing that one to do an episode at a time, but when I finish with it, I can finally start in on some of the other, probably more deserving titles from this season. I’ll likely review Flip Flappers.
6. I’m going to be speeding up the series on Revolutionary Girl Utena. Since we’ve covered the preliminaries, we can take it in larger chunks. But that’s part of why it’s taking me a while to get the series out, because I have to watch the dang thing.
Featured image by Tukushi Akihito.
First, I gotta say I’m loving all the art I can find by this Akihito guy, what with his jumbled, intricate wilderness backgrounds and his little chibi characters you just wanna hug.
Second, I just finished editing and uploading the twenty-second chapter of Jake and the Dynamo. New revelations abound, and a major new character appears. It will appear tonight at midnight.
Third, after I step away from the computer for a moment and take a break, I’m going to roll up my sleeves and produce a new review.
Featured Image by Tsukushi Akihito
I’ve been neglecting the blog, but that’s in large part because I’ve been toiling away at Jake and the Dynamo. I just finished the rough draft of chapter 22.
Chapter 23 is partly written.
Also, I spent most of my writing time this week putting together the novel’s final chapter, which is of novelette length. It will be a long time before we actually get to that point, but I wanted to write it because it was very clear in my head. At the moment, it’s my favorite part of the book.
Also, the rough is now well over 100,000 words, which makes this a good-sized novel already (even though it has, chronologically, covered one week!). I’m not sure of the length of what’s been published on the blog, because after I write the rough of each chapter, I move it into its own document where I edit extensively and usually expand.
Also, this is unrelated, but notice we have some suh-weeeet Fairy Musketeers fan art for this post. Sooner or later, I’ll probably geek out about Fairy Musketeers, as it’s one of my all-time favorite magical girl shows, starring the voice of Lyrical Nanoha as a sword-wielding Red Riding Hood.
Featured art: “Momo” by Coco-Sweet
I spent last weekend drafting fifty pages of Jake and the Dynamo, but, unfortunately, the pages I drafted are for the final chapter rather than for the next one.
I was having some trouble with the next chapter because I was trying to decide if it should be the one that advances the plot, or the beach episode. But I think I’ve figured it out now.
Featured image: “Nyo!England Magical Girl” by black-feather1013.
Tonight is maintenance night for me. I’m going to do some rearranging and see about updating some of the other hosting sites, which have been languishing.
I intend to have new content up tomorrow. No, really.